Kidney failure, suspected spherocytosis. Serious?

i have kidey failler and have susspected spheroctosis, should i be worried
Posted Wed, 2 May 2012 in Kidney Conditions
Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 36 minutes later
Hello and thanks for your query.

I shall make an effort to provide you with good professional recommendations specific to your questions.

I am afraid but yes, it is a concern that one of the reported complications of spherocytosis (a congenital disorder where the red cells are round instead of the normal elliptical) is renal failure itself. So, that means you need medical help with your condition as soon as possible.

Do not panic, but you should know that there are crisis periods in spherocytosis, during which excessive peaks of abnormal red cells occur and that is when a kidney failure could be triggered. It does not happen every day, but can happen during the life time of the disease. So, you would need a complete and thorough investigation into the "suspected" situation, right away. Consult your doctor and weigh the options.

Treatment options are available for spherocytosis, which is a curable condition.

Yet again, I duly appreciate your query to me, I do hope that you have found something useful to help you and I shall be glad to answer any further apprehensions.