Kidney cancer survivor. CT scan showing swelling in bladder lining. Could it be bladder cancer?

Question
Dear Dr. My 68 year old husband is an 11 year kidney cancer survivor. There was no need for any chemo or radiation since the tumor was well encapsulated. He engaged in all follow up tests and recent routine tests were all normal except his abdominal CT Scan showed some swelling in his bladder lining. All urine tests were normal - no signs of blood or infection...no sense of urgency to urinate or anything else unusual. Our history with our Internist has shown that she is a bit of an alarmist and she said this could be bladder cancer so we need to see a Urologist which we plan to do. But I would think there could be many other, benign causes for this especially given he has no symptoms commensurate with bladder cancer. True? Many thanks, XXXX
Posted Mon, 2 Sep 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Jay Patel 1 hour later

I am Dr XXXXXXX and I will try my level best to address your concerns.

Based on the information, your husband has an encapsulated cancer, which was treated properly and currently all the test are pretty normal, just a recent check up shows some swelling in bladder and your internist alarmed it might be a cancer and you want to make sure whether it was serious or just a newbies assumption. And wether some benign conditions can cause such changes in bladder.

Well you should have bet, & you would have won,YES their are other benign condition that may lead such changes.

Here is the list of some benign
1) Interstitial Cystitis
2) subclinical Urinary track infection, (means no symptoms are felt)
3) changes due to prior radiation therapy.
4) Benign mass in bladder.
5) cyst in bladder wall.

But I would still advice you to have it checked, since it will help to provide a piece of mind and if incase something is going on it will be stopped from doing greater harm. I don't want you to feel to much worried/ concerned about it. Please relax and calm your nerves.

Mean while keep in touch in case you have any more concerns/ doubts.

Dr. XXXXXXX XXXXXXX

Follow-up: Kidney cancer survivor. CT scan showing swelling in bladder lining. Could it be bladder cancer? 5 minutes later
I can't tell you how much the sensitivity and humor in your answer is helpful. He is meeting with his Urologist this Monday and we'll go from there. It just seems bizarre to me that this could be cancer given no other symptoms. I failed to mention that he does have a kidney stone that has been there for quite some time...not sure if that might mean anything. Thank you so much again...XXXX

Answered by Dr. Jay Patel 29 minutes later

Welcome back, thanks for appreciating my sense of humor as well as my sensitivity to my patients (I believe that god is present in every one and that I am here to serve the inner god)

Mostly the cancer don't give any clues, but in case of bladder cancer, it suppose to be a "blood " in the urine being a "major clue", since your did had urine report perfectly normal so nothing more to indicate about cancer accept a transition change in thickness of bladder. It can even be a change due to growing up.

Kidney stone is something that may cause changes in bladder if stone get lodged in the bladder and that may also lead some irritation which in turn be visible as bladder wall changes.

Please feel free to contact me again in case of any concerns, I may not be physically present but I will try to comfort you electronically. ( Hoping to be transporting my self via email from one place to another as technology advances!.)

Thanks again.
Dr. XXXXXXX XXXXXXX

Follow-up: Kidney cancer survivor. CT scan showing swelling in bladder lining. Could it be bladder cancer? 14 hours later
Thank you again. ...I believe as you do about the inner god in each of us. Our appt with the urologist is tomorrow and I feel better that he will be fine. Many thanks again.

Answered by Dr. Jay Patel 1 hour later

Thanks for updating me about the appointment. Wish your husband all the best for his health on my behalf.

Dr. XXXXXXX XXXXXXX

Follow-up: Kidney cancer survivor. CT scan showing swelling in bladder lining. Could it be bladder cancer? 34 hours later
Thank you Dr. XXXXXXX All turned out well...changes due to aging process according to the urologist. Thank you for your support!

Answered by Dr. Jay Patel 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Thanks for updating.

Detailed Answer:

welcome back, I am glad I was helpful.

Please let me know if your need any thing else.

Wish you both all the best of health.

Thanks again.
Dr. XXXXXXX XXXXXXX