Ketone in urine, baby

Is a Ketone reading of 5mg/dL in the urine normal for an ~8month old baby? Thanks
Posted Mon, 30 Apr 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Sapan J. Pandya 1 hour later

A Ketone reading of 5 mg/100 ml(mg/dl) is normal for an 8 months old baby.

A ketones urine test measures the presence or absence of ketones in the urine.
If you suspect Ketoacidosis, Blood Ketones can be measured. Blood ketones are primarily used to screen for, detect, and monitor diabetic ketoacidosis (DKA) in people with type 1 Diabetes Mellitus (Insulin Dependent Diabetes Mellitus). Ketones appear first in the blood, then in the urine after being filtered by the kidneys. Thus the body has been producing ketones for a while before you can detect them in the urine.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.