Keloids on shoulder. Have become soft and are no longer red after taking steroids. Treatment available?

I have keloids on my left shoulder. It was developed 4 years back. I got few steroids and now these are quite soften and no sign of redness. Is these any treatment available for this?
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 8 minutes later
Hello and thanks for your query.

I shall make an effort to provide you with good professional recommendations specific to your questions.

I understand you want information on treatments other than steroid injections for your keloids.

Yes, there are other modalities of treatments available with each of their own benefits and risks. Freezing (cryotherapy) does work sometimes when surgery doesn't. Laser treatments are not new - but may be expensive. Radiation has some risks. Surgical removal for the often ghastly appearing but the risk of recurrence. Hence, a cream with Imiquimod is sometimes used post surgically to prevent recurrence.

You would have to discuss which suits you best with your doctor.

Yet again, I duly appreciate your query to me, I do hope that you have found something useful to help you and I shall be glad to answer any further apprehensions.