Ask a Dentist   »  

Keep smelling metal in nose. Blood pressure raised. Root canal done. Chances of metal poisoning from fillings?

I keep smelling metal in my nose. Mostly after i work out and my blood pressure is raised. My nose is not stuffy at all. I have had a root canal in an upper tooth but many years ago. I had an extra done a year ago because I was having small pain and redness right above this tooth and the xray showed no signs of infection. My doctor gave me antibiotics to clear up what we assumed was a sinus infection. It has come and gone over the last year. Is there such thing as metal poisoning from fillings?
Posted Mon, 20 Aug 2012 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 3 hours later
Thanks for writing in.
Even though the fillings do contain mercury and there were concerns that they are toxic, current evidence does not suggest that they are toxic or may cause any kind of poisoning.
As far as the metallic smell in the nose is concerned, although some people do report smelling metal after they exercise, we need to rule out other causes first. This can be due to a recurrence of the sinus infection or a neurological issue.
To let me help you better, please answer the following questions:
a. Do you feel your sinuses are blocked? Any headache, cough or blocked nose?
b. Do you have any other symptoms like increased forgetfulness, problems in walking, talking or sensing stuff?
c. Do you have any tremor? Any kind of vision issues?
d. Do you have any other medical conditions that I am missing here?

Awaiting your reply