Just had period and it burns when urinate. Reason?

General Surgeon
I just had my period and. Week went pass and it burns when I pee why?
Posted Fri, 24 May 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 22 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

Burning while urinating is a very often symptom of urinary tract infection. Usually it is urethra or urinary bladder infection. You may also suffer from frequent urinating (especially at night), lower abdominal pain, back pain and fever.

Urinary tract infection is usually caused by bacterial infection. It can appear due to low fluids intake (rare urinating gives bacteria a possibility to grow in the urinary tract, more frequent urinating flushes bacteria), increased sugar level in the urine (diabetes), cold, vagina inflammation. If the infections are recurring, urinary tract diseases like kidney reflux should be ruled out.

I suggest you to visit your doctor and have urine analysis and urine culture test. If the infection will be present, antibiotics might be necessary.
You should also drink plenty of mineral water and use cranberry supplements.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.