Joints hurt, tingling and numbness, frozen back. Any ideas ?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
My joints hurt. My knuckles in both hands and feet, my elbows, knees, OMG my back, my neck. My shoulders( atleast i think its my shoulders) keep going out of place when I've done absolutely nothing. Approximately a year ago I was sitting at the computer and I felt some discomfort. By the end of the day I couldn't turn my head and it remained that way for a cpl of months. That was on the right side. Now same thing but on the left. This time I woke up like that. My back KILLS when I wake up. Bought a new bed a started to sleep in a different position. Used to wake up in agony cause of my lower back but since I switched sleeping positions lower back doesn't hurt but the middle of my back now kills upon waking! Have little to no feeling on the rt posterior shoulder, distal to either last cervical or first thoracic vertebrae. Tingling and numbness. My back has frozen and I've been immobilized for several days because of pain :-(
Posted Fri, 13 Jul 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 8 hours later
Repeated back and joint pains can be due to multiple causes at this age the commonest being poly arthralgia. Other causes can be rheumatoid arthritis, gout, inflammatory diseases like SLE, bursitis, fibromyalgia, etc. For proper diagnosis, some of the blood tests are advisable like-
1. Serum calcium levels.
2. Serum Uric acid levels.
3. RA factor
4. ESR and CRP
5. Serum Creatinine
6. X-ray of affected joints and MRI of the spine.
You need a thorough clinical examination followed by investigations under the guidance of an orthopedician.
The nerve compression symptoms might be related to Vitamin B12 deficiency or electrolyte imbalance.
Till then for symptomatic relief, you can take over the counter analgesics, do hot fomentation and apply local analgesic gel on the affected areas.
Adding calcium and Methylcobalamin supplements to your diet will be helpful.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.