Joint pain, twitching muscles, difficulty climbing stairs, cold toes. Autoimmune disease?

My PCP thinks I may have MCTD based on bloodwork of elevated XXXXXXX levels and the presence of U1-RNP?? (Not sure about this technical stuff) and the fact that I have suffered from severe joint pain, stiffness in my legs, difficulty climbing stairs, getting up from seated positions and it hurts to just walk sometimes. I also have experienced twitching muscles, XXXXXXX horses and pains in my arms and legs, my toes get so cold they feel numb and frozen. But I went to see a rheumatlogist who said that my XXXXXXX levels, though elavated, were'nt high enough to suggest any type of autoimmune disease and just sent me home saying I should take ibuprophen when I feel bad. Should I try to seek a second opinion? I don't want to claim any type of sickness. But things are getting worse. Also is there some kind of connection with MCTD and rotting teeth? In spite of daily brushing, flossing, ACT Restorer, and Listerine...I keep getting numerous cavities. I've got several cracked teeth from just eating, and have already had 3 root canals in the last year. Please help.
Posted Wed, 26 Sep 2012 in Lupus
Answered by Dr. Divya Agarwal 4 hours later

I have gone through your reports and symptoms.
- You have a positive XXXXXXX with a high titre of u1rnp.
- You have features suggestive of arthritis.
- You have muscle pains although your muscle enzymes are Normal.
All these suggest a definite abnormality.

I would like to know whether the color of your finger tips changes on exposure to cold and if there is any change in the shape of your fingers.

Based on the symptoms and the reports, I feel you need to be on treatment. So if feasible, I suggest you to visit a second rheumatologist and to consider treatment.

And yes, rotting teeth could have a connection if you have some amount of dryness in your mouth.

Hope this answers your query. Please get back to me if you need further guidance; I will be happy to help.

Best wishes
Follow-up: Joint pain, twitching muscles, difficulty climbing stairs, cold toes. Autoimmune disease? 7 hours later
Thank you for your insight. I will definitely follow up with another Rheumatologist. To answer your questions, my fingers and toes do get white at the tips (although I'm an African American woman) and tingle like they've fallen asleep or as if there isn't blood circulating there. I haven't noticed any changes in the shapes of my fingers though. What does this suggest?

Thanks again for your help. It is much appreciated! XXXXXXX XXXXXXX

I think this further suggests that your problem may be auto immune in nature.

Because, this suggests a possibility of raynauds which is a colour change of the extremities on exposure to cold due to vasoconstriction.

Hope I have answered your query. Do let me know if you have more concerns.

Thank you too.