Joint pain, pressure in throat. Have underfunctioning glandula thyroidea. Taking tenormin mite. Help

I've got a blood pressure of 160/76. My heart rate 56. I've strong pains in my joints, I've got the feeling of pressure in my throat in the regions of the glandula thyreoidea. I have also an underfunction of the glandula thyreoidea.
My doctor here in the Netherlands does not find my condition alarming but I am really feeling miserable and I am scarred. I already got described thenormin mite for a high blood pressure. But it doesn't seem to help anymore. Please can you help me.
Posted Tue, 9 Apr 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Payman Hajiazim 2 hours later
Hi there, thanks for asking. High blood pressure is a common issue, especially after the age 65. The medications from the class of beta blockers like the medication you are currently taking, are not the best option for the beginning of therapy for high blood pressure. Especially because you have low heart rate (because of low thyroid function), it is better that your medication is changed to another medication. The medications that enhance urination (also called as water pills) are the best medication to start for high blood pressure. They can easily control your blood pressure. Beta blockers are more rate controller, while your heart rate is already low.
Please let me know if you have any other question. I wish you the best health.