Joint pain, muscle twitch, feeling cold, weight gain, mood swings, tired. Done TSH test. Hypothyroidism?

I am writing to inquire about the possibility of a thyroid issue. Symptoms I've been experiencing (pertinent or not I'm going to list): achy with joint pain, continuous muscle twiches in my calves (which I asked my MD about and he suggested to increase Ca and Mg which I have and it continues regardless), periodically throughout the day muscle twitches in my eyes, mouth, hands, frequently cold when others are not, weight gain (around 5 pounds), mood swings, and most concerning is being extremely tired in the last 3 weeks (to the point where I feel my work is suffering and I look forward to going to bed all day). I do not feel depressed in any other sense other than frustrated/down about not having enough energy to carry through my normal routine. I also endured my first menstrual period 16 days ago (7.5 months postpartum third child still breastfeeding) which was the heaviest flow of menstrual period I have ever had. I had a TSH done in May of 2011, routine, and it was 2.0. I did an at home test for TSH last week due to being so exhausted and the result was 4.2. I realize 4.2 falls into the "normal" range on most of the references you read, but also am reading some reference to 3.0 possibly being the top end of "normal XXXXXXX All this considered, does hypothyroidism sound like a reasonable explanantion? Any other ideas regarding my symptoms, most specifically the extreme fatigue? Thank you for your time.
Posted Mon, 3 Sep 2012 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Monika Choudhary 3 hours later
Your main problems are muscle twitches &fatigue.
Since you are lactating mother & having heavy menstrual period you are vulnerable to certain mineral and vitamin deficiencies including calcium, magnesium and Iron.
You are already taking Calcium and magnesium. Phone your doctor if the supplementation is sufficient and is able to XXXXXXX the body needs. You should have at least 1200mg / day of calcium. One fourth of it may be from the diet, the other needs to be external supplements. Check if the tablet that you take has 900mg of elemental calcium. You may also want to ask about Vitamin D deficiency. You require 1500 IU of Vit D per day.
You can get a serum ferritin test for Anaemia itself is cause of tiredness & fatigue.
Your TSH is in higher normal range, it should not be responsible for your symptoms.
Mood swings may occur up to one year after delivery. A good family support and expert counseling are enough. Let your family and partner know about this.

Thank you.