Joint pain after fever and stomach cramps. Why can't he finish meals? Is tylenol good? Are they viruses?

Hi there. My son had a low grade fever starting last Friday night through early this morning (Sunday, May 6). Some other symptoms include knee and ankle joint pain and stomach ache with some cramping. After breakfast this morning, he started feeling better almost immediately, his energy level was great, appetite was back to normal, and it was as if he hadn't been sick at all the last few days. I even took him out for a few hours (Target and Taco Del Mar) because there was no fever and he was himself again. Unfortunately, after dinner tonight, he started to plummet. He couldn't 't finish his meal, immediately went to lie down, and his temperature XXXXXXX to 101 degrees. He also complains of pain in his ankles and knees again and stomach pains. I gave him Tylenol. I know there are viruses going around at school, but I don't know specific symptoms. Do you think I should call his doctor in the morning or could this be something more serious? Thank you for any information you give.
Posted Sat, 26 May 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 29 minutes later

The fever of that temperature and gaps of well being is very typical to a viral infection.Also the fact that the boy has joint pains it adds to the suspicion of it being viral.

I would suggest you to continue on Tylenol and yes, there is need for him to be examined by the doctor to rule out specific viral illness and put him on treatment.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Follow-up: Joint pain after fever and stomach cramps. Why can't he finish meals? Is tylenol good? Are they viruses? 8 minutes later
Thank you so much for your quick helped put my mind at ease. I'll call his doctor tomorrow.
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 1 minute later
You are welcome.

Thanks for using this service.

Wish him good health.