Jaw pain, muscle twitching, unable to concentrate, suicidal thoughts, triggered by heat. Please help

hello doctor i am from india,i have been suffering from a peculiar disease-at the age of 16,in year 1985,i had gone out in heights of summer,and when i got back home...i started getting pain,i took pain killer,but over a period of one year my left jaw muscle was wasted and clenching of teeth was loose and i get intense pain in left jaw-cheek area,and i continue to get so,that time dr.told me to take inderol -10mg medicine and chew chews gum,it helped but this time i suddenly sat in a closed hot car and again it started,since last 7 months i have regular pain,there is severe twitching of muscles there,i am unable to concentrate on anything,i feel like committing tell the name of disease,and its treatment ,pl help me......i think i need a neurological advice... XXXXXXX
Posted Fri, 24 Aug 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Sourav Ganguly 3 hours later
Sorry to hear that you have been suffering from a lot of pain for last couple of years.
After going through your details problems it is appear to be a case of TRIGEMINAL NEURALGIA.
It is a Trigeminal nerve disorder that causes abrupt, searing, electric-shock-like facial pains, most commonly the pain involves the lower face and jaw, but symptoms may appear near the nose, ears, eyes or lips.

They are so many reasons but most important reason is an enlarged blood vessel - possibly the superior cerebellar artery - compressing trigeminal nerve causing pain.

You need to consult a neurologist urgently. Detailed history taking, physical examination of the patient and MRI scan of the brain is essential to established the diagnosis and to differentiate it from a similar condition called post herpetic neuralgia, not only that (MRI, History, Physical examination)can detect some other rare entity which also give rise to similar symptoms like –multiple sclerosis, Atypical neuralgia, Myofascial pain, Temporomandibular facial pain, Cluster headaches, Local disease in the sinuses, jaw, throat, and bones of your head.
Once diagnosis is reached then you please follow the neurologist opinion about treatment.
But for your knowledge I would like to inform you that treatment of trigeminal neralgia is mainly by oral drugs carbamazepine with NSAID. If not responded then injection steroid is given using real-time x-rays and if patient is still irresponsive then decompression of nerve root the ultimate treatment.
I think I can make you clear about your query.
Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.
If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer and please write a review.
Wish you a speedy recovery.
Dr Sourav Ganguly