Ask a Dentist   »  

Jaw pain in the morning, ear pain, teeth feel loose. No teeth cavities. What can I do to improve my condition?

Dentist, Prosthodontics
My mother experiences the following:
I have pain in my jaws which increases specially in the mornings when i get up. It stays for half an hour or so then reduces. Sometimes even my ear hurts and teeth feel lose. I brush twice daily and keep my teeth clean. i have no cavities in my teeth. Can you suggest what i can do to improve my condition?
Posted Mon, 10 Sep 2012 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Shivangi Gajwani Jain 1 hour later

After reading your mother's symptoms, I feel that she probably his suffering from bruxism, which is a parafunctional habit, i.e.: unintentional grinding/clenching of teeth at night. Therefore, when she gets up in the mornings her jaws hurt and teeth feel lose. This pain if severe can also travel up to the ears and even cause headaches and pain in neck-shoulder region.

During the day as the grinding reduces, the pain also subsides.

She needs to visit her dentist and after clinical examination, he may give her a splint/mouth guard/night guard to wear at night. The splint will reduce her pain, as the teeth will not contact while wearing it. The dentist may also advice certain X-rays of the TMJ joints.

I strongly recommend her:

-To consciously stop habitual grinding
-To reduce stress
-Muscle relaxant (prescribed by the dentist)

Hope she feels better soon. You are welcome to post any more queries you have.