Jaw pain, bruises, lump under left jaw, stuffiness, facial pressure. Advise?

I was hit on the side of my head by a person. I have severe jaw pain, along with bruising that goes up the left side of my face. I have a lump under my left jaw and stuffiness and fluid leaking from my ear. Is this something that will heal on it's own. I also have pressure in my face if I move my head up or down (more so when moving my head down)
Posted Mon, 16 Jul 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 1 hour later
I have seen your picture.
The local swelling and bruising is significant along with discharge from ear.
It appears you had significant blunt trauma. It is likely that your ear drum is ruptured and maybe we are also looking at a fracture of neck of mandible underneath the swelling. At this time, it is best you can go to Emergency right now and get an auroscopy done. In addition, a X-ray of face [PA and Left Lateral views] needs to be done to make sure you don't have mandible fracture. If it's there, then you need to consult a surgeon immediately.
Otherwise, it is a self limiting injury and would heal by itself. For the pain, you can take Tablet Motrin 1 tablet as and when required (upto 4 tablets daily) with food. Please take care that water does not enter the affected ear till the pain and fluid from this ear resolves and don't keep the ear up when you slee p- i.e. either sleep flat or with that ear down so that fluid drains out rather than getting pooled and can get infected.
Wish you a safe recovery.