Jaw is swollen and treated as bacterial infection. Completed course of penicillin. Having another occurrence. Suggest?

My left jaw is swollen and my dr is treating it as a bacterial infection. I completed the first course of penecillen about a month ago but I am having another occurrence. I am taking penecillen and the doctor gave me a shot. Any suggestions?
Posted Sun, 4 Aug 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. S. Jegadeesan 2 hours later

I went through your medical history as well as your complaints of left side jaw swelling.
The jaw swelling can be
1) Soft tissue swelling - infection and inflammation due to any etiology in the surrounding - mainly teeth and their root canal. Enlarged salivary gland may look like jaw swelling. Clinical examination is needed to assess the surrounding area and for associated lymph node enlargement.
2) Bony swelling
X-Ray and if necessary CT will reveal the cause of swelling and the source - arising from bone or soft tissue

Once the diagnosis is arrived the treatment will be easy.

If there is any pus - Culture and Sensitivity should be done.

If it is a soft tissue swelling, you may need some Broad spectrum antibiotic.

Any Dental problem should be treated accordingly.

You are welcome to clarify your future doubts
Best wishes