Jaundice after eating large meal,yellow tint to skin,tired,heart pressure medication,urinalysis done,blood 2+ in orange colored urine

hello, My question is the following. My father is a healthy 82 year old white male. Only takes a low dose of heart pressure medication. Since about 3 weeks ago we began to notice that he gets jaundice after eating a large meal. By the following day the yellow tint to his skin gets better. But today has been the second time I have noticed it. There is no pain, no itching, nor upset stomach. The only other symtom or change in his normal routine has been unusually tired (for his normal perky self). Thank you for your educated opinion on this matter.

Blood tests have always been normal in the past. Last month, he had one all was within normal limits except: Urinalysis ... Color: orange, Blood 2+, ph 5.0 .
PSA 7.9
Triglycerides 246 mg/dl
Posted Mon, 7 May 2012 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Vidya Muralidhar 15 minutes later

Jaundice is typically caused by rise in bilirubin level. But if you notice yellowing of skin that appears after a meal and begins to clear off the next day, I would doubt if it is caused by rise in bilirubin.

Sometimes too much carotene in diet, mostly from too much vegetable intake, or some food supplements can cause mild yellowness of skin, palm and soles.

But since your father is also experiencing unexplained fatigue I would suggest that he is evaluated by a physician to rule out liver pathology.These are a few tests he may need to undergo:

1.Complete blood count with hemoglobin
2.Liver Function tests
4.Blood urea and serum creatnine
5.Urine routine and microscopy
6.Lipid profile
7.Ultrasound abdomen and pelvis.

Meanwhile keep the diet bland, avoid too much fat and spices and also drink good amount of water.

The cause for 2+ blood in urine should also be evaluated if not already done. Many times it is a normal occurrence with no particular reason, but can indicate a disease affecting the urinary tract.

Hope I answered your query, I would be available for follow ups as well.