I've had diarrhea with a lot of mucus and small

Question
I've had diarrhea with a lot of mucus and small amounts of blood for almost 3 weeks. At times I've had a low fever (99).tonight I have chills and feel ill in general. Last week I called my gastro dr. And he said to get on a regular regimen of Imodium AD. I've been taking the XXXXXXX daily dose and it doesn't stop the cramping and diarrhea for more than 3 hours and less if I eat.i originally thought it was the result of eating a lot of caramel popcorn, but I believe that passed some time ago. I just don't know what to do at this point.
Posted Tue, 5 Dec 2017 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Thoughts on this.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome,

It is definitely time to go in to be evaluated. I am not sure why you have a gastroenterology doctor - do you have a history of gastrointestinal problems?

If you don't have a diagnosis that your doctor is treating, then it is time to be evaluated to see what is going on. Three weeks is long enough to see that it is not going away easily, and I am concerned also about the low grade fever.

Possibilities of what might be going on include an autoimmune problem of the gastrointestinal tract (Crohn's, ulcerative colitis), a persistent infection (particularly if you have eaten out of the country), and diverticulitis.

You have been very patient, but now is the time to have this looked at.

If you can't get in to see your GI doctor quickly, then go to see your regular doctor, and if you can't get in there for awhile either, then go to an urgent care clinic to get some of the lab tests started.

Your doctor should do an exam and get an idea of where in your abdomen there is pain or discomfort. Lab tests I recommend include a CBC with differential which can give an indication of whether there is an infection, a complete metabolic/chemistry panel to include glucose, protein, liver enzymes, kidney indices. Imaging studies would be next. And stool cultures. Your doctor (the GI dr.) will probably want to do a colonoscopy at some point.

So please do go in to be seen tomorrow to start an evaluation on this. And no longer accept just treating with imodium at this point.

Follow-up: I've had diarrhea with a lot of mucus and small 13 hours later
I had a colonoscopy in January and there was no problem except a sm hiatal hernia.Thank you for your thoughtful response.

Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Information

Detailed Answer:
That is good that you had the recent colonoscopy. But if 3 weeks have gone by and you have had some chills, fever and constitutional symptoms, at the very least you should get a CBC with differential and stool studies/cultures. So please do go in.