I've had a bump on my inner butt cheek. Swollen and red and hurts when walking or sitting on chair. What is it?

Question
I've had a bump on my inner butt cheek (smoother and maybe a little bigger than a pimple) for maybe a year. It's never really hurt or bothered me, only a little red. Now its gotten irritated and is swollen and real red and hurts a little when i walk and sit on a chair. I am curious what it is and most important, how to reduce some swelling and pain. Thanks!
Posted Fri, 24 May 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 1 hour later

The lesion you mention could be a ingrown hair forming a cyst. This could have got infected resulting in pain and redness.

Do take Tab Motrin 400 mg twice daily after food for three days. This will reduce the inflammation and provide you relief from pain.

If the lesion gets filled with pus then excision of the lesion with removal of pus and debris would become essential with a course or antibiotics to control the infection spreading to vicinity.

Hope I answered your query.

Please let me know if there are any other concerns.

Follow-up: I've had a bump on my inner butt cheek. Swollen and red and hurts when walking or sitting on chair. What is it? 6 hours later
I dont have any hair in that area, its quite smooth actually. Are you sure its from a hair? The area is, at the most, an inch away from the crack. It rubs with my other cheek, so walking is hurting a bit. Otherwise, i have a bandaide on it so it doesnt rub, therefore isnt hurting as much with that protection. I also have had this for over a year without any pain, irritaion, etc. It only started hurting after I had sat in a hard chair for a few hrs the other day.
Thanks! Sorry!

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 15 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

Skin other than on palm and sole is a hair growing skin. Though there may not be any visible hair , hair follicles do exist and minute hairs do grow. Some of the follicles may become cystic swellings or a hair may grow within the skin leading to a cyst like swelling which when affected by infection or any mechanical stress can lead to pain and redness.

Do take Tab Motrin, it does provide you relief.

Get the lesion examined by a General surgeon who after confirming the diagnosis can plan on excising the lesion.

Wish you good health.