I've been sick with a cold virus that has been

Excellent

Question
I've been sick with a cold virus that has been ongoing for two weeks - started with a fever for 6 days, headache, convulsive coughing at night (continues). My throat is so raw and painful I'm desperate for some relief; I suspect it's from coughing and /sinus drainage. I've been treating this virus with rest, Tylenol, hot tea, and of yesterday (saw dr) trying cough suppressant at night with codeine (didn't help me sleep or reduce cough). No fever for last few days, but throat is red; inflamed with little red splotches...can you help me? my dr does not think this is bacterial, and my lungs are clear.
Posted Wed, 22 Nov 2017 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 58 minutes later
Brief Answer:
yes it is a cough suppressant

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

Yes, the benzonatate is a cough suppressant.

The virtussin AC also contains a cough suppressant along with a mucolytic to help break up any mucus so that it can be more easily expelled.

A decongestant may also help, even if there is no nasal congestion because it reduces the drip of mucus to the back of the throat.
This drip, that you may not detect, can provoke coughing. Both the oral and topical decongestant can be used. These would be over the counter.\

Topical decongestant eg normal saline or otrivine

You may also need a medication such as salbutamol syrup which helps to open the airways in the lungs.
In some persons, persistent coughing is due to partial closure the airways. This is because they can become inflamed/irritated.
This can be tried if the virtussin and benzonatate and the decongestant are not effective.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions

Follow-up: I've been sick with a cold virus that has been 8 hours later
thank you; I started using a nasal saline squeeze bottle this morning and that seems to help. For the first time in days, my throat feels a little better. I will continue to use the Virtussin and benzonatate. Do you have a recommendation for a decongestant? (the Nyquil Cold & Flu contains Doxylamine Succinate, Dextromethorphan (anthistamine)...My mouth felt like the Sahara Desert in the morning. it's all so confusing... thank you so much! XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
phenylephrine is the common oral decongestant

Detailed Answer:
HI

The normal saline would act as a topical decongestant but an oral would be phenylephrine which is found in some cold or allergy meds.

Most often with an antihistamine.

the dextromethorphan is used as a cough suppressant as well.

Please feel free to ask anything else