Itchy white patches on thighs, discoloration. Advice?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I have persistant itching in particular regions of my thighs. the skin is granular (probably due to repeated rubbing/itching). skin has discoloration, mild creamy/whitish ( but in very small patch, maybe few milimeters only). If i touch the affected region the itching starts and subsides only after rubbing for some time. no external wound or scratch. no pain or burning sensation. i feel little thickening under the skin in the affected regions (could be due to repeated rubbing but not sure) kindly advice.
Posted Sat, 14 Apr 2012 in Skin Rash
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 8 hours later
Persistent itching only in the thighs not getting relieved by local antiseptic and antifungal ointments can be due to allergy or eczema or dermatitis.
A close examination by dermatologist will help in diagnosis.
Most of such problems are relieved by applying calamine lotion and a steroid(cortisone) based antiseptic cream on the area.
You can also take Benadryl or Actifed orally for the itching.
This will take care of your symptoms in 2-3 days.
In case the symptoms are persistent then you need to consult your dermatologist for stronger prescription medicines.
I hope this answers your query effectively.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.