Itchy welt on forearm, painful and tender, red line on arm. No open wounds. Could this be MRSA?

I have a large itchy welt the size of a baseball on my forearm that started out the size of a quarter yesterday afternoon. I also have a painful tender red line starting below the crease of my arm that is an inch wide and 5inches long going up my arm which started today. It is painful to extend my arm and both areas are hot to the touch. Both areas are on the right arm and there are no open wounds on either spot. However I never had any open wounds the first time I had Mrsa either. Could this be Mrsa or something else.
Posted Sat, 11 Aug 2012 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Harish Naik 3 hours later
Welcome to XXXXXXX
It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided.
Based on the history i think it is contact dermatitis.
your symptoms are suggestive of contact dermatitis, a itchy rash caused by things your skin touches, such as: cosmetics, soaps, and detergents, dyes and other chemicals in clothing, rubber gloves, shampoos, antibiotics such as neomycin rubbed on the surface of the skin or any plants. In your case i think it might be seat in the hall or the cloths or the jacket.
Even the insect bite should be ruled out.
In both the case Treatment includes washing with lots of water to remove any traces of the irritant that may remain on the skin. You should avoid further exposure to known irritants or allergens. In some cases, the best treatment is to do nothing to the area. I advice you not to scratch it as result in secondary infection.
Emollients or moisturizers help keep the skin moist, and also help skin repair itself. They protect the skin from becoming inflamed again. They are a key part of preventing and treating contact dermatitis.
Corticosteroid skin creams or ointments may reduce inflammation. Overuse, even of low-strength over-the-counter products, may cause a skin condition should be used with caution.
You can also consider taking oral anti histamine which will be helpful. These drugs are available as over the counter medication.
For Pain you can consider taking over the counter analgesic medication.
I advice you to follow this above mentioned measures still if it persists or the severity increases, consult the dermatologist for examination and also to find out the cause as all the information provided here are based on the symptom, examination and then deciding will be better.
Hope I have provided the information you needed.
Follow-up: Itchy welt on forearm, painful and tender, red line on arm. No open wounds. Could this be MRSA? 29 minutes later
I did use a homeade banana body mask and I noticed the welt appearing shortly after that. However I put it all over my body. Could the banana just affect one part of my body?
Answered by Dr. Harish Naik 7 minutes later
Good to hear from you.
Even though same should have occurred all over and it might not be the culprit. It will be better if you avoid the mask for time being and observe for any improvement.
Mean while advice you to follow the conservative approach mentioned above i think you should be fine.
Hope i have cleared your queries. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer.
Wish you good health.