Itchy vagina after oral sex, rashes and hard surface on mucous membrane. STD or herpes?

Pediatrician
Question
Hi, I have a question about my itchy vagina.
I had oral sex on the 20th of this month. And 3 days ago from today my vagina started to feel itchy. I asked my boyfriend if he had STD or herpes. But he clearly says no. So, it is less likely herpes but I am still worried. I don't have any sore or burning sensation. There is no discomfort when I urinate either. There are red rash and rough or slightly hard surface areas on mucous membrane. There are no vesicles nor discharge. What could it be? I just want to know that it is not STD.
Posted Tue, 17 Apr 2012 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Answered by Dr. Santosh Kondekar 43 minutes later
Dear,

Thank you for posting your query.

It is not always Herpes or STD (Sexually Transmitted Disease) that should itch there. Often the mouth has many bacteria that are normally present which are not routinely present in vagina. These bacteria get transferred (occasionally even fungus do) to the mucosa where they are not used to be. Such transfer may cause a small (or large if immunity is low) growth of microbes in the new mucosa. Such organism growths being new and strange may cause inflammation or acid reaction that gives itchy feeling. With repeated events the itchiness may not remain unusual.

To prevent it, it's better to have good oral hygiene (gargles) and genital hygiene (vaginal douche) before proceeding with such adventures, or better avoid them. Treatment will mainly be symptom related in steps
1. Drink plenty of water
2. Get vaginal douche/wash
3. Use gentle soaps
4. May need antibiotics or antifungal
5. Investigations like urine routine or vaginal swab test etc., if it persists beyond 3 days.

Hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.