Itchy spots on arms, wrists, thighs and legs during menstrual periods. How to treat this?

1) About 5-6 months back, during my menstrual period, I developed very itchy spots on my arms, wrists, thighs, and legs. They were spreaded out, probably 10 of them at most. They were tiny, swelled circles, at most 4 mm in diameter, similar to mosquito bites but at the center had clear liquid filling that looked like a clear dot. I'd scratch and break the liquid center, and for the next few days the spots would either get refilled with liquid or dry up and permanently discolor the skin. Almost two weeks passed before all the itching ended.

2) Next month, around the period time, I had similar symptom, only this time had only 4-5 itchy bumps. At least one of the bump was the same one from the previous month.

3) And the next month, the same thing happened during period time: itchy bumps, maybe 2 of them at most.

4) I began to notice the pattern. I'm expecting my period in a few days, and I'm having one itchy bump with liquid dot on my arm and another one at the side of my torso. They itch like crazy.

My question is, what disease is this? I searched everywhere for menstruation-related itchy bump, WITH NO LUCK.

How do I treat this condition?

And is this related to tampon usage? (The first time these symptoms showed up, as in no. 1 above, I relied extensively on tampons.)

I would appreciate any help!!! Thank you very much for any pointers!!!
Posted Wed, 23 May 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Rohit Batra 4 hours later

A reaction of that sort which is described by you in the history can be erythema multiforme, bullous PR (Pityriasis rosea) or some viral infection presenting that way.

I will be in a better position to answer your query if you could please send in a couple of photographs.

Tampoons can be the cause and should be avoided as they can give rise to infection and reaction.

Dr.Rohit Batra
Follow-up: Itchy spots on arms, wrists, thighs and legs during menstrual periods. How to treat this? 17 hours later
Hello Dr. Batra,

I checked both skin conditions that you suggested. The first one, Erythema Multiforme, as pictured on the wikipedia article, did not describe my symptoms. The second one, Pityriasis Rosea, did not describe my symptoms either. They both looked rather severe.

As of the moment, my symptoms are very minor. I therefore am taking photos of whatever I am having on my skin: one bump on my arm, which is drying from the scratching and oozing last night; the second photo is my leg with discolored spots from previous months' bumps.

1st photo -- taken on my arm just now; one tiny bump, drying from liquid
2nd photo -- leg with discolored spots from previous months
When I had the bumps, they looked similar to this person's: WWW.WWWW.WW
Through random searches I came across bits of information, as included below. Not sure if they'll help anything, but I present them here just in case you'll find them helpful in your diagnosis..

Thank you Dr.

Answered by Dr. Rohit Batra 7 hours later
Thanks for writing back.
I have seen the images and you seem to have tiny vesicles and papular lesions which are common in any sort of allergy. This can be due to an allergy to a hormone like progesterone, an infectious agent or allergy to tampons or even an allergy to a pain killer that you might have taken during menses.
An absolute eosinophil count and a serum IgE can confirm the allergy but will not tell us the nature of the allergen.
Treatment options though remain the same – Oral antihistaminics and topical steroidal creams which can be used under the guidance of your physician.
I would suggest that you switch to another brand of tampons and get a erythrocyte sedimentation rate (ESR) done during the menses.
I hope I have addressed your concerns.

Dr.Rohit Batra