Itchy sore boils developed after bug bite. How to treat it?

My son is living in Africa and told me today that he was bitten by something called a Nairobi fly (even though he's living in Liberia). He says he has three round boil-like sores at the top of his "butt-crack" which are very itchy. What is the best way to treat this?
Posted Mon, 10 Dec 2012 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Kruti 3 hours later

Thanks for posting your query.I will be glad to be of assistance and I will try my best to answer your queries until you get a satisfactory answer.

The best way to treat this is application of a steroid antibiotic combination cream like neosporin and cortisone cream to be mixed and applied twice a day for a week. The other alternative is application of fusidic acid cream with betamethasone cream called fucibet cream.

In case the boils do not start resolving in two to three days time, then its advisable to take a course of an oral antibiotic like Doxycycline under the supervision of a dermatologist.

Also for the itching an anti histaminic like Cetrizine 10 mg once a day will be helpful

Please let me know if this was helpful and if I could address any other concerns for you.

Follow-up: Itchy sore boils developed after bug bite. How to treat it? 4 hours later
My son is in Monrovia, Liberia right now where they have "chemists" (supposedly pharmacists). They do not have anything like Walgreens, Walmart or even our local drug stores. I will encourage him to look to find what you have suggested he use.

He has Benedryl anti-itch cream, which he took over there with him, and is currently using. Will that provide similar results to the other things you mentioned if he's not able to find those things?

He was told if he used anything with an oil base that this would cause the boils to spread. Is that true??
Answered by Dr. Kruti 48 minutes later

Thanks for your reply.

Benadryl itch cream will not work for his lesions. He would need the creams, which contains a topical antibiotic and a steroid.

A cream in oil base will not cause his lesions to spread. But in case he just moisturizes it, then it won't help either. Hence, I would recommend that he apply the creams I suggested if possible.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.