Itchy skin on back, have CHF. What causes this? Is there any medication to relieve this condition?

Excellent

Dermatologist
Question
My father has CHF and is having a big problem with itchy skin, especially on his back.

I am told this is a part of CHF. Can you tell me what causes this? Is there anything cream or pill that I can suggest to his doctor to help relieve this conditionit?

It keeps him up at night and is a big distraction during the day. He is an active archtect and his job is effected by this condition. We have tried several creams that don't touch it.

Do you have any suggestions?
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Gaurang Krishna 12 hours later

Thanks for writing in.

Chronic pruritus may be caused by chronic illnesses like CHF, Cirrhosis or Renal failure.

The treatment is primarily the control of the underlying pathology (in your father's case, it is CHF).

You may suggest Tab Hydroxyzine 25 mg 3-4 times daily to your doctor. This is very effective. But the problem is that this medicine may lead to drowsiness.The second but less effective alternative is a non sedating antiallergic like tab fexofenadine 180 mg.
He may also apply calamine/menthol lotion 3-4 times daily to help relieve his itch.

I hope this helps.

Thanks and Regards

Follow-up: Itchy skin on back, have CHF. What causes this? Is there any medication to relieve this condition? 19 hours later
Thank you, Dr. XXXXXXX for your suggestions.

I will present them to my Dad's heart specialist to see if the doctor would like to consider them as a part of Dad's treatment.

Answered by Dr. Gaurang Krishna 5 hours later
Sure.

Please keep me updated about your dad's progress.

Thanks

Follow-up: Itchy skin on back, have CHF. What causes this? Is there any medication to relieve this condition? 21 hours later
His next appointment isn,t for a few weeks. I will try the calamine/menthol lotion 3-4 times daily to see if that gives him relief. If so his doctor may be able to recommend it for his other patients.

Thak you. I will keep you posted.

Answered by Dr. Gaurang Krishna 4 hours later
Sure.

thanks