Itchy scaly spot on scrotum,responsive to cortisone.

Question
I have an itchy scaly spot on my scrotum. It responds to cortizone.
It has been there for 3 years, I am concerned a potential mistake in college is going to ruin my life.
I am scared to death.
Posted Tue, 17 Apr 2012 in Men's Health

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 1 hour later
Hello XXXXXXX

Thanks for posting your query. The rash has been present for 3 years, is itchy and scaly and is responding to cortisone which is a steroid. Thus an important possibility for such a scaly skin rash is eczema skin. It is a form of inflammation skin characterized by redness, skin edema (swelling), itching and dryness, crusting, flaking and cracking.

I suggest you to get the diagnosis confirmed from a dermatologist after examination. Steroids is one of the best treatment for eczema but it should be used only under medical supervision as it can cause skin thinning and atrophy.

Follow these treatment options till you get an examination done from a dermatologist:
1)     Avoid using soaps and harsh detergents which can dry the skin and deprive the skin of natural oils. Instead use a mild soap like Dove or colloidal oatmeal baths.
2)     Avoid using products that may dry the skin such as powders or perfume.
3)     Wear cotton clothes and change the underwear twice daily
4)     Keep the area moisturized by using light emollients.

Do not worry so much, nothing to be so scared about, once diagnosed accurately, treatment will be effective.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Follow-up: Itchy scaly spot on scrotum,responsive to cortisone. 27 minutes later
The rash appeared 2 weeks after unprotected "messing around", not actual sex.
It started by appearing as a slightly raised spot on the scrotum, and then reverted to a smooth, dry, itchy spot that has persisted for 3 years.
I have scheduled an appointment with my GP, and am going to have an STD test scheduled with my local clinic.
As I am worried due to the fact that I am dating a new girl, I am very simply concerned that I may "have something".
I have found nothing online that is indicative of my symptoms other than that which you have suggested.
Thanks for your help. It is greatly appreciated.
This problem is leaving me sleepless.

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 8 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX

Thanks for the clarification. Although it appeared after unprotected messing around but since it has been present for three years without spreading and is dry and itchy, so it does not look like any STD rash. Please don't worry about STD's as this rash is not symptomatic of STD but a skin cause. However you can get a STD test done to rule out STD's like herpes or Chlamydia which may sometimes be asymptomatic.

This rash looks like eczema and if it bothers you too much if not a primary physician, a dermatologist can easily help you.

These thoughts should not bypass your happiness with your new girlfriend.