Itchy reddish skin rashes and tingling on hands. Have mild eczema. Family history of diabetes

Hi, I am a 32 yr-old female and I am generally pretty healthy. I have a rash on the back of both of my hands that seems to follow, for the most part, the path of my veins and it stops at my wrists. The rash doesn't hurt, nor is it super itchy, but I am concerned b/c it has been 5 days and it still hasn't gone away. The rash consists of small imperfect red patches that are flat and not raised at all, nor are they open or puss-like. I have mild excema, but the rash on my hands definately is not excema. At first, there was a slight tingling in my hands, but that has since passed. Diabetes runs in my mom's side of the family. Also, Nobody in my family knows whether or not I've ever had chicken pox as a child. I don't think it is Shingles though b/c I don't feel any pain and the rash is pretty localized. It also is not super itchy. Any ideas of what it may be? Thanks.
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Skin Rash
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 7 hours later

I have gone through your query and photographs.

Photos however are not very clear.

However, in order to help you better, I would request you to answer the following parameters:
Is it the first time you are having this type of rash?

Do you have any known food allergy/history of wheals/ contact allergy/ drug allergies?

Is any family member having similar condition ?

Do you have a fever / any other complaints?

Are these lesions increasing in size or have remained the same size? Are they associated with any other complaints?

Do you have similar lesions at any other site?

Will it be possible for you to upload better images taken under sunlight? (distant/close up/lateral view)

I am confident that I can give you a better opinion with the above details.

Awaiting your reply.
Dr Sudarshan

Follow-up: Itchy reddish skin rashes and tingling on hands. Have mild eczema. Family history of diabetes 14 hours later

Yes, this is my first time having this type of rash.

I have no known history of wheals other than certain types of plants tend to make me break out in hives. I’m not sure what kind, but I break out every time I go camping at a particular spot on the coast. Those hives however go away within a day or two and they’ve rarely affected this area of my body.

I do have a slight sensitivity to latex and I do have intolerance to dairy products.

None of my family members that I know of have a similar condition.

New photos are attached. I apologize for not providing clearer pictures. This is the only camera that I have and it's on an old cell phone.

No fever, no fatigue, no loss of appetite

Lesions are not increasing in size—staying the same, but they do seem to be getting darker on the right hand. The Left hand has cleared up significantly compared to the right hand.
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 20 hours later

I have gone through new images uploaded by you.

My first impression that comes to my mind is a possibility of papular urticaria. Hence I have few more questions that arise. Hope you would not mind answering them

Do you had any out door visits/ any visit to new places ?
Any history of mosquito /insect bite?

It is a self limiting condition. You just need to apply soothing lotion like caladryl or aloe vera lotion thrice a day which is available as over the counter product.

The rash should subside within one week .

Hope this helps you.

Wishing you speedy recovery.

Dr Sudarshan
Follow-up: Itchy reddish skin rashes and tingling on hands. Have mild eczema. Family history of diabetes 5 hours later
I do work in my garden quite a bit and I also have 4 indoor/outdoor pets. Just to be clear, this rash is not indicative of exposure to Lime's disease or anything, is it? I don't think so, but I really want to be sure.

I have aloe vera plants in my garden so that should help significantly.

Also, I started drinking Essiac tea (a four tea blend that claims to improve liver functioning and improve skin ailments) and my hands have cleared up significantly since. Could be a fluke, but it's worth looking into.

Another topical agent I tried that seems to be helping is tea-tree oil with lavender.

Thanks for your assistance and for putting my mind at ease,

Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 7 hours later

It’s heartening to know that your lesions are improving.

These lesions are no way related to Lyme's disease.

It is NOT related to Lyme's disease.

Tea tree oil is also helpful due to its anti inflammatory action you can use it safely for similar skin lesions.

Hope my answer helps you.

Please accept my answer if you have no further queries.

If you have liked my answer, please indicate it by rating the answer.

Dr. Sudarshan