Itchy red stretch marks appeared after pregnancy. How to remove this?

Been going to the gym 5 times a week since 28th dec 2012 been reducing my calories and have lost 30lb start weight 18 8 now 16.6 Had stretch marks on stomach after 3 children but have become very itchiy & red what can I use tried moisturiser but still want to scratch like made
Posted Sat, 30 Mar 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 46 minutes later
Hello and welcome to XXXXXXX

Thank you for writing to us.

The cause for itchy stretch marks that have occurred after pregnancy (striae gravidarum) are a few. Let me list them for you to help you out.
1. When the skin stretches, it tears. Along with this tear a few blood vessels are also damaged. A few years after pregnancy, when the healing process starts, the skin heals, during this the nerves are stimulated. This results in itching. Itching the skin during this causes further damage. So please avoid this.
-Exercise also results in stretching of skin, this will result in worsening of the condition. Try not to do any exercises that result in further stretching of the skin
-Dryness of the area (you are dealing with this, with the moisturising lotion, also please try some calamine lotion; this will also help). Please keep your body hydrated.
-Fungal or viral infections

I would also advise you to XXXXXXX a skin doctor who will rule out/diagnose any infections. In the meantime, hydration is prime. Do not worry, and try not to be aggressive with your stretch marks.

I hope this information helps. Do write back to me for any further clarifications. I would be glad to help.

Best wishes.