Itchy red spots around pubic area. Should I be worried for scabies?

I have had a very small red irritation off and on for 8 months now, that forms in the pubic hair area it will itch similar to a mosquito bite and the area will feel raised underneath the skin, after about 2-3 days it will form tiny white raised bumps abut the size of a pin head all in a diameter slightly larger than an eraser head. It then fades away and everything goes back to normal for the next 4 to six weeks, then it appears again. It never has spread to penis area, nor has it moved outside the pubic hair area whether the area is shaved or not. I think it might be scabies but am not sure?
Posted Fri, 1 Mar 2013 in Skin Rash
Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 46 minutes later
Thanks for writing to us,

According to the description and the picture sent by you. The following can be considered.
1. Granulomatous disorder.
2. Nummular eczema. If there is oozing from the lesions.
3. Recurrent bacterial folliculitis.
4. Pseudofolliculitis
5. Fungal infection, mainly Candida.
6. Scabies.

Out of these scabies, bacterial and fungal causes can be easily ruled out, as they won't follow a pattern of appearing and disappearing for weeks.

Pseudo folliculitis, occurs due to ingrowth of hair, just have a look if there are ingrown hairs,

Next is nummular eczema,
This can remain localized to a particular area and can be on and off but there should be some oozing.

Finally, granulomatous disorders can be considered as you said you feel something is coming from within skin.

Here are my suggestions.
1. Apply a mild steroid cream like mometasone once daily for a week and see the response. For itching, you can take an antihistamine tablet.
2. XXXXXXX a dermatologist and consider for a biopsy. As biopsy can only exactly diagnose the condition.

Feel free to ask further doubts.

Thank you .