Itchy red splotch on groin. Applied lotrimin. Why is it still itchy? Could it be scabies?

Dermatologist
Question
I have a red itchy splotch on my groin, near where my thigh is. I've applied Lotrimin, but it hasn't helped. Still itchy, although not necessarily increasing in size. Is it scabies?
Posted Wed, 23 May 2012 in Skin Rash

Answered by Dr. Rohit Batra 2 hours later
Thanks for writing in.
A single, itchy rash in the groin is more likely to be a fungal infection. Scabies is a more generalised disease in which the itching is more intense in night. Web spaces ( areas between fingers and toes), genitals and whole of body can have lesions of scabies
A skin lesion in groin is more likely to be a fungal infection. Other possible diagnosis like bacterial infections, allergies etc would also need to be considered
Topical creams like lotrimin alone are not always helpful and an oral anti fungal treatment regime with fluconazole or itraconazole is required.
Hope this helps. I would be available for follow ups.

Dr.Rohit Batra

Follow-up: Itchy red splotch on groin. Applied lotrimin. Why is it still itchy? Could it be scabies? 7 hours later
Thank you for the reply.

Are the oral treatments like the ones you named prescription medications, or over-the-counter medications?

Answered by Dr. Rohit Batra 20 hours later
Thanks for writing back.
The oral antifungals are prescription medicines and are not to be taken without a dermatologist's advice.

Dr.Rohit Batra

Follow-up: Itchy red splotch on groin. Applied lotrimin. Why is it still itchy? Could it be scabies? 17 hours later
Is it possible to let this run its course, or do I need to seek medication? The red spot hasn't grown larger or gotten itchier, but it hasn't decreased in size as of yet.

Any acute danger involved?

Answered by Dr. Rohit Batra 5 hours later
Dear,

Thanks for your follow up.

In case the rash is not troubling you and is not increasing, you might continue with the cream but if it increases, irritates or even if remains same for the next week - you should definitely visit a dermatologist.

Dr.Rohit Batra