Itchy, red and swollen urethra,unprotected sex, STD and blood tests all -ve,taken azithromycin. Suggestion ?

I am a 26 yr old male. I had unprotected sex and a few days later I noticed that my urethra was itchy, red, and slighty swollen. I had an std test done with blood work and everything came back negative but I still have itchyness and redness. Help please. I also wonder if having an std test done a week after sex gives std's enough time to show up on test, even blood work.
Posted Fri, 27 Apr 2012 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. Gaurang Krishna 1 hour later

One week is enough time for some of the STD's(sexually transmitted diseases) to show up on blood work- like Herpes, Gonorrohea, Chancre etc. But more chronic ones like HIV, Hep B and Hep C, syphilis take a longer time to show, so a repeat test after about 6 weeks is strongly suggested.

Coming on to your present problem- it may be either due to a mild fungal (yeast) infection or just sexual trauma to the urethra.

I would recommend you to see a dermatologist and get a fungal swab test done.

Till then use a mild steroids+ antifungal combination cream.

Do not use any antiseptics over the area as they irritate the genital skin and mucosa.

Hope i have answered your query.I will be available for follow up.
Follow-up: Itchy, red and swollen urethra,unprotected sex, STD and blood tests all -ve,taken azithromycin. Suggestion ? 1 hour later
Thank you for your help. I also failed to mention a piece of information that may be of some importance. When I visited the clinic, the doctor did prescribe me with a dose of Azithromycin (4 pills taken at one time) because I thought I may have clamydia. Does me taking that medication change anything?
Answered by Dr. Gaurang Krishna 32 minutes later
Thanks for the follow up.

No ,taking azithromycin 1-2 g won't change anything as far as herpes is concerned.

It's good to treat empirically if there is any suspicion of an STI(sexually transmitted infection).

Do not worry.