Itchy rashes developed on chest, neck, forearm and between breast. Worried for MRSA infection

In the last 3 days I have developed severe itching on chest, neck, forearms and between breasts. Small lumps are beginning to appear as well. The skin is very hot to touch and flushed. Recently I had a cut on my XXXXXXX which was slow to heal, I am still having the cut dressed at hospital as it turned septic and after a swab revealed there was MRSA bacteria in the wound. I had Dalacin C antio-biotics but it did not really begin to heal until I finished the 7 day anti-biotics and subsequently attended the unit in the hospital as mentioned previously, who dressed the wound The wound is nearly healed and looking good. I will receive my last appointment for the wound on Friday. I have been going to nearby hospital to the Wounds and Dressings Unit there. I am concerned this itchy rash might be a symptom of MRSA infection? Can you throw any light on thi please
Posted Sun, 5 May 2013 in Skin Rash
Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 3 hours later

Thank you for your query.

Though you have given a detailed history but you have not mentioned whether you are diabetic or not. Delayed wound healing can be seen in diabetics. If your blood sugar has not been tested then kindly get it tested.

How many days after starting Dalacin C (Clindamycin) did you get the itching? Rash and/or itch is a side effect of the drug.

I hope I have answered your query to your satisfaction. Please feel free to revert back in case you need any clarifications or would like to share more facts.

Wishing you an early recovery.

Rajiv K Khandelwal
Follow-up: Itchy rashes developed on chest, neck, forearm and between breast. Worried for MRSA infection 8 minutes later
I am not a diabetic, my blood sugar was tested. I had finished the Dalacin C course on Friday 12th April, rash started on Monday 15th and is now really strongly itching
Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 11 minutes later

Thanks for the update.

Rash and itching is known to occur 2-3 days following the use of clindamycin and may progress to pustule formation. However they improve after discontinuing the medication. In your case it has appeared after you have discontinued the drug. I suggest that you consult your doctor, get your blood tested for eosinophil count. In the interim, you apply calamine lotion to provide relief from itching.

I hope I have responded to your query to your satisfaction.

Wishing you an early recovery.