Itchy rashes appeared on hand, feeling mild pain at the back of neck and head. Proper treatment?

I am feeling mild pain at the back of my neck which started 4 days ago.
- The first day feeking mild pain in the left side of my neck(back of my neck and head) and
-The second day, the pain transfered to the right side of my neck (back of my neck) and back of my head.
-The 3rd an 4th feeling mild pain (Like strained muscle) in the back of neck, head and near my ears.
I think I am a little bit sick, but I don't have a fever (or maybe low grade fever).

last week I saw an itchy rash (like a blister) on my hand. I used cream, and now it is better, but it is not improved completely.
Posted Sat, 9 Mar 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 2 hours later
Hi. Thank you for writing to us.

From the day-wise presentation you have explained, it does sound like a neck strain. Some remedies for this are:
-Stretching the muscles (place a lengthwise folded hand towel under the base of your skull/neck and stretch your neck upward and then backward. Try this for 3 minutes, 3- 4 times a day. Only if you are comfortable
-Soaking your neck with lukewarm salty water
-Gentle massage the area in a circular motion
-You could also visit a chiropractor who can certainly help relieve your trouble

If you have experienced an itchy rash, that has still not been relieved, I would like to ask if you have experienced any flu-like symptoms, fever, vomiting, intolerance to light, etc. This could be worrying and the neck stiffness and rash could be linked.

Please visit a doctor at the earliest to rule out meningitis with the help of a complete blood work-up and a lumbar puncture. I request you to do this at the earliest.

I hope this information has helped. Please write back to me for any further clarifications.

Best wishes.
Follow-up: Itchy rashes appeared on hand, feeling mild pain at the back of neck and head. Proper treatment? 36 minutes later
Many thanks for you response. No, I don't have any other symptoms. The skin rash was appeared 2 weeks ago, it was itchy, so I used a cream (which is for eczema "exdederm"). The rash was disappeared few days ago (but its location is mild redness and not itchy). I continue to use that cream.

1. I am wondering if this may be related to my sex encounter(I had a protected sex) happened 3.5 month a go? ( As I mentioned, I took HIV test after 2 months which came negative).

2. Since you talked about meningitis, may I take Antibiotic Ampicilin 500 or Advifin 400 before meeting the doctor in next week,?
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 1 hour later

HIV is not detected in the blood for at least 3-6 months since exposure to a HIV infected individual. You should repeat the test in another month or two.

You will also have to consider the possibility of other sexually transmitted diseases. Please visit your doctor for a thorough evaluation.

Also, there are different types of meningitis, which migjt not respond to the antibiotics you wish to take. Also, it is not advised to self administer medication.

I hope this helps. Please write back to me for an further queries, and I am worried for you, please visit a doctor at the earliest.

Best wishes.