Itchy rash over body. Blood, TSH, kidney and liver tests done. Should haemotologist be consulted?

My dermatologist ran blood work (CBC, TSH, Kidney and Liver enzymes) due to a very itchy rash all over my body (for last 6 weeks). The only abnormal finding is LDH of 227. Do you think I should see a hematologist per her recommendation? I am a 40 yr old female who works out pretty intensely a few days a week. I am not sure what steps to take next.
Posted Tue, 3 Jul 2012 in Blood Disorders
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 7 hours later
Hello and thank you for some enough questions.

Your question is a good one and I will work on providing you with some information and recommendations.

If the LDH alone is elevated with normal blood counts otherwise this is not something that is very concerning.

I would be more interested to see the remainder of your blood tests including your hemoglobin as well as your white blood cell count and platelet count.

In addition a repeat laboratory study should be done to see if there is any trend in the result of the LDH.

If there are abnormalities in your white blood cell count or your platelets or your hemoglobin or if you have enlarged lymph nodes this would be an indication to see a hematologist. Otherwise I do not see a benefit in seeing this type of specialist.

I thank you again for submitting your question. If you are able to share some of the additional laboratory results that I discussed here that would possibly be beneficial in additional discussion. If you have additional concerns I would be happy to address them as well.

Dr. Robert