Itchy rash in the genital area. Yeast infection diagnosed. Taking antibiotics for urinary bladder infection. Suggestions?

I have an itchy (very) rash in the genital area. my doctor and a health clinic doctor diagnosed this as a yeast infection after I had taken antibiotics for a bladder infection. this is NOT what I have. they have given me prescriptions for various creams but nothing is working. on the assumption they may be right and I may be wrong, I have tried MONISTAT -both the cream and the suppository. still nothing!! what on earth do I have???
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Rohit Batra 13 hours later

Genital area is most commonly affected by fungal infections. It is associated with itching and whitish discharge or maceration at times.

Creams and suppositories are not effective all the time and oral antifungal like fluconazole, itraconazole, etc., need to be prescribed for a complete eradication of the infection. Itching if intense can be taken care with antihistamines. Your treating physician can prescribe these drugs.

If there is a doubt regarding the diagnosis, "KOH preparation" using the sample of discharge, scrapings from the affected region can be done to ascertain the infection.

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if you have any other concerns.

Dr.Rohit Batra