Itchy rash head, red crusty bumps, neck swelling, cortisone, tea tree oil

for 6 months i have had an extremely itchy rash on the left side of the base of my head ( occipidal area ) with tiny red bumps. of course i itch them and they form a crust. there are times i have itched them so much that my neck swells. i have no other areas of rash anywhere else. i have tried cortisone and tea tree oil. also shampoos for dandruff. nothing works.
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Skin Rash
Answered by Dr. Bharat Chawda 3 hours later

I would like to know if you have any history of photo-sensitivity (aggravation of itching on sun exposure).If yes,then it is a POLYMORPHIC LIGHT ERUPTION(PLE).In this, one gets sever itching with rashes on exposed areas of body like nape of neck,sides of neck extensor aspect of arms ,tips of ears and nose etc.

Otherwise my second diagnosis would be a fungal infection (less likely).

For PLE you would require a potent topical steroid to be applied on the spot .Along with this it is very important to use a good spf sunscreen lotion daily thrice. Once your lesion is cured completely ,you should continue using the sunscreens daily religiously.

If it is fungal ,you would require a anti fungal tablet along with topical anti fungal creams.This needs to be used for at-least 4 weeks .You may have to consult your treating doctor for the same.

Dr.Chawda XXXXXXX consultant in Dermatology