Ask a Urologist   »  

Itchy, pus filled bumps appeared on penis shaft after intercourse. Cause and cure?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Sep 2012
Sep 2012

Question
I have about 3 or 4 bumps on the shaft of my penis. I had sex with a new partner almost a week ago. I noticed these bumps after sex. They itch a little and they look like pimples with puss. I don't know what to think.
Posted Mon, 6 May 2013 in Penis Problems

Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 2 hours later

Thank you for posting a query here.

Look, your description and picture indicates possibility of carbuncle or boils. These are infections of hair follicle. It may occur at any place of our body.

It is not a sexually transmitted disease. Most commonly it occurs due to poor hygiene.

But, you need a clinical examination for exact categorization of the lesion.

In case of carbuncle, you have to take a broad spectrum antibiotic either of amoxicillin and clavulanic acid combination or a doxycycline group of drug.

An antibiotic ointment like mupirocin can also be applied locally for a better result.

Besides, you have to take care of personal hygiene.

Lastly, consult with a general physician in person for a detailed clinical examination and a detailed prescription.

Hope this information suffices. Let me know, if you have any more question.

Regards.

Follow-up: Itchy, pus filled bumps appeared on penis shaft after intercourse. Cause and cure? 3 hours later
I went to my doctor today and he says it is definitely herpes and he just looked at it. I go back on Thursday for blood work. I guess I am confused. He saw the same thing I sent you on the pictures and I am getting two different diagnosis. How is that possible?

Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 15 hours later

Thank you for writing back.

Look, herpes is diagnosed on the basis of its area of distribution. On clinical examination, if it was suspected as a herpes, that wil be the final diagnosis.

Here, you have to depend on your treating doctor.

When a herpes rash gets complicated with secondary infection, that may be mistaken as carbuncle.

So, my opinion is to depend on your treating doctor.

Do the blood tests and keep following up.

Hope you have your answers.

Regards.