Itchy nostril. Diagnosed with nasal impetigo. Taking Mupuricin, Clindamycin. Suggest remedy

ENT Specialist
Hi I have had some form of very itchy nostrils for some time... almost like athletes foot of the nasal passages more itchy when I rub my nose.. A nurse practitioner looked inside my nose and said it was nasal impetigo,,, she started me on Mupuricin
for 2 weeks .. it did not go away so she added Clindamycin for 10 days . It is better but not gone,, Not sure of next step... maybe fungal ?.. Or Mrsa ?
Posted Tue, 23 Apr 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Ravinder Sharma 1 hour later
I am Dr Ravinder Sharma ENT surgeon

On the basis of the information provided it appears you have a acute infection in the outer part of nasal cavity causing this. As you yourself says that there is improvement in symptoms but it has not resolved fully it may be because of a resistant bacterial infection. But you do not have any symptoms like headache, malaise, fever (usually present in acute bacterial infection). There are other posibilities too -- like nasal polyp or allergic rhinitis. Your problem of sleep apnoea may havs some relation with nasal problem. Nasal mass, polyp or enlarged turbinates (in nose) may present with sleep apnoea.

It will be appropriate to start some antiallergic like cetirizine 10 mg tablet for itching but it at the same time I would advise you for a ENT consultation too. I would also request you for a nasal swab for gram stain and culture and sensitivity to find out the antibiotic required for the infection (if it is so). The answer to your question whether it is MRSA lies in the report of culture and senstitivity.

I hope this answers your concern. Feel free to contact me if you require more information about it

with regards
Ravinder Sharma

Follow-up: Itchy nostril. Diagnosed with nasal impetigo. Taking Mupuricin, Clindamycin. Suggest remedy 14 hours later
Went to Clinic not crazy about taking Clinda and mupuricin without a culture... Md sees reddened area inside nostrils no drainage, just inflamed tissue...told me to stop Mupuricin and Clinda....may represent some sort of allergic rhinitus, "mild " at worst..prescribed a type of anti pruitic for inside my nose and a short course of
prednisone Thinking back to start of symptoms may co-incide with start of Baclofen for my gerd.. I take it 2 a day.. Benefit seems to outweigh side efffect

Do you know any thing issues with Baclofen ?
Answered by Dr. Ravinder Sharma 21 minutes later

Thanks for a follow up query

Common side effect of baclofen are drowsiness, dizziness, nausea, vomiting and constipation.Less comon side effects include mood changes, depression and rarely it may cause a allergic reacion with rash and sweeling on face and mouth. It is associated with itching. Your symptoms may be because of this reason too.

I hope this answers your query
Feel free to contact me if you have any more question about it

with regards
Ravinder Sharma