Itchy mole on back, whitehead with puffy pattern, edges pink. Should it be of concern?

I have a hard itchy mole on my back that appears like a whitehead that is raised with puffy pattern. It is pink/red around the edges.
would this be of concern or only a whitehead>
Posted Mon, 16 Jul 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 3 hours later

Thanks for posting your query and uploading the pictures. I have taken an in depth view of them.

The lesion on your back is not a mole. It most likely seems like a wart - a result of papilloma virus infection.

They are contagious - can spread to other parts of body by contact or to other persons also.

Papillomas are essentially benign growths and heal by themselves over months to years.

However, in your case, the growth is having reddish margin at rim as visible in attached photos but that is not a character of wart. In addition, I think it is painful also.

I would advise you to undergo an excisional biopsy to make a double surety for ruling out malignancy.

I hope that answers your query. Do write back in case you have follow up queries to ask.