Itchy lump developed around anal area. Temporary relief after applying desitin. Medical cure?

Excellent

Dermatologist
Question
Hi i am a male aged 53 years, i have had severe itchiness around the anal area with a few mosquito bite sized lumps in the rectum opening since past 2 weeks. The itching is more severe at night. I tried desitin cream but it only gives temporary relief. what can i apply? I have a very acidic constitution and i guess its due to that.
Posted Wed, 20 Mar 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 41 minutes later
Pruritus ani could be due to fungal infection, piles, fissures, skin tags, stool deposits diarrhoea,pin worms, increased moisture in the area etc.
To treat the same, you may try taking tablet cetirizine twice in a day and apply flutibact cream mixed with clotrimazole cream in 1:1 ratio twice in a day in anal area. If you have constipation, kindly take a stool softener and also try to keep the area dry as much as possible.
The lumps that you have mentioned could be skin tags ,piles, molluscum , warts or furuncles and these can only be diagnosed by visiting a dermatologist near by as a proper visual examination is required.

Hope that helps. Take care.

Follow-up: Itchy lump developed around anal area. Temporary relief after applying desitin. Medical cure? 19 hours later
I have followed your prescription and am very pleased with the results as i had almost immediate relief. Thank you very much.
I wanted to know how long am i to continue Cetrizine , which makes me drowsy, as i can take it only at bedtime. Also whether the cream applications should be continued for some time even after the symptoms stop.

In normal course , as the response is good, how long do you think it would take to cure?

What if there is recurrence of the symptoms after sometime?

Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 23 minutes later
Thanks for writing back.
Tablet cetirizine is for relief in itching. If it makes you drowsy, you may take it at bed time or replace it with tablet loratidine to be taken once daily till itching persists
Continue the cream at least for a week to ten days. Keep the area dry as much as possible. Use a tissue wipe to dry it.Try and avoid constipation as much as possible.
Cure basically depends on the cause. If there is any surgical cause like piles, fissures, fistula that should be treated.

I would advise you to continue the treatment at least for a week to ten days. If there is recurrence, I would advise you to consult a dermatologist for local examination. So that the cause could be ruled out.

Hope that answers your query.