Itchy labia minora, reddish, white dry stuff, applied Sorbelene cream

Hi, I've got an issue and have yet to see a doctor. I've got itchy labia minora on the outside, between labia majora and it looks quite red only on the left side with a small section that had some white dry stuff which I've wiped away and applied dpsome sorbelene cream. Can you help?
Posted Tue, 24 Apr 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Mitaly 41 minutes later

Your symptoms suggests the possibility of fungal infection of genitalia.

Other possibilities could be:

1. Chemical irritants: such as detergents, fabric softeners, feminine sprays, ointments, creams, etc.

2. Stress: May increase vaginal itching and make you more susceptible to infections.

3. Vaginitis: Inflammation, itching, discharge, and odor caused by other infections (including sexually transmitted diseases).

Follow these methods for the quick relief from symptoms:

1) Wear cotton clothes and underwear and avoid wearing any coarse or synthetic material.

2) Wear clean and dry clothes and use a mild detergent to wash them. Dried sweat, chemicals, dirt, and other debris may aggravate the condition.

3) You can apply some calamine lotion at the rash as it will help in soothing the skin.

4) Application of a topical antibiotic cream like Bactroban or Neosporin and oral anti-inflammatory drugs after a prescription from your doctor are helpful in reduction of the redness and inflammation.

Sometimes application of one topical antifungal or a combination of two and more antifungals are needed until the itch disappears.

One has to continue application for 2 weeks after the itch disappears.

Avoid using any topical creams without doctor's prescription.

If the symptoms persist, please see your Primary Physician for examination and evaluation.

Hope this answers your query.

I will be available for follow up query if any.