Itchy, hot to touch welts on arm. Applied benadryl, hydrocortisone, ice. No discharge. Help

HIV AIDS Specialist
My husband has received some kind of bite I believe on his arm each night that appear as welts, hot to touch, growing in size, very itchy. Each time he has gotton bit he experiences even larger welts and swelling.
I sprayed with a can all around our bed, under bed without any reduction in the bites. The swelling appears to be about a large egg to larger with the redness extending outward. It has not been reduced by Benadryl Cream, Benadryl oral, slight decrease with hydrocortisone 1% and ice has reduced the swelling but still continues to be extrememly itchy. There is no exudate from any of the three bites today. No fever, no extension to hands no lymphadenopathy. No other sx of anaphylaxis. Traveled over a month ago to Yellowstone but no camping. Does not appear like Bedbug bites that I reviewed online. I got bite 1 time but it stays swollen for 2 weeks.

This has been going on for 3 weeks.
Posted Fri, 16 Aug 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 2 hours later
Welcome to XXXXXXX

Do you have garden adjacent to your house or his working place. Sometimes some type of ant-bite also is possible to cause such symptoms described by you.Otherwise some flying insects not even a bite, even a contact can cause similar problem. It may take nearly 4-5 days sometimes to subside and become normal. Rather than medicine, avoidance is always better. Not going to garden or bushes,and by cleaning the bed room and spraying with insecticides are better measures.
If it is very severe XXXXXXX your physician and take his advice.
Soda bicarb (baking soda) application in water as a home remedy (first aid) will reduce the swelling and itching.
Dr S.Murugan