Itchy groin, spread to buttocks and waist, darkening color. What to do?

Jul 2012

Hi doctor i'm suffering with groin itching which has spread whole buttocks and right side of waist. It is not causing any itching but turned into dark color. what should i do now?
would you suggest any ointments or other medicines to get rid of it?
Posted Wed, 3 Oct 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 44 minutes later
Hi there.
I read your query with interest. How long have you had this particular problem? Did it begin as reddish circular lesion with central clearing & expanded on the outsides to form larger rings & subsequently become darker? Have you taken any prior treatment for the same & if so, what? Is there someone in your close association..partner, sibling , colleague etc with similar lesions or do you frequent hotels. rest-rooms etc on travels et al? Is it possible for you to take a good clear photograph & upload it on this portal using the 'upload your data' link?
By any chance is there any background of any other medical condition eg. Diabetes etc or any long standing steroid medication usage?
I would be happy to suggest the appropriate ointment/cream or oral medications once i have recieved replies to these queries.
Cheers & Looking forward to your reply.
Dr Praveen Rodrigues MD
Dermatologist, Cosmetologist, Venreologist
Bangalore, India.
Follow-up: Itchy groin, spread to buttocks and waist, darkening color. What to do? 3 hours later
I have provided some photographs of the affected areas. I guess this itching has started from the groin and slowly spread through the under part of the right thigh to the butts. Then due to hesitation i havent got to any doctor. then after few months due to my negligence it got to the scalp. so I went to a doctor and he has given some creams which i had used for a couple of weeks. Then it healed on the scalp and stopped the itching to a lot. I neglected to use the cream further and I came to aboard for my studies and its been nearly an year and it discolored. But the groin itch did not leave.

I would sincerely use the medicine which u prescribe and I want to get the skin to normal please.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 2 hours later
Hey there.
Have viewed the photos & am of the impression that you have an extensive tinea corporis et cruris. In lay-person's terminology..Fungal Infection.
Use a 2% ketoconazole soap daily while bathing & apply to affected areas, leave on skin contact for 10-15 mts & then wash off.
Twice/day use a 1% terbinafine cream apply sparingly to all regions involved & continue such for a minimum 2 week period.
Orally, take a fluconazole 200mg tablet once/week for anywhere between 2-4 weeks.
The pigmentation & dry skin et al will take time to recover. Am of the opinion that a 'natural' cream containing aloevera used as an emollient (started after 2 weeks) atop wet skin in the affected regions will help both the dry skin & pigmentation over a 1-2 mth period..slow but steady after the primary infection is addressed!
Hope have been clear as to line to follow. You should get help from your local pharmacist once u show him this transcript. Cheers & Good Luck!
P.S..if instructions clear, please do close this query & give us your valuable rating/feedback. Personally, i envisage a good result...p.s. p.s...wash all your undergarments in hot water at one time, dry them in bright sunlight & iron out the creases; preferably avoid use of damp undergarments in future or change frequently if sweaty & do use boxer shorts as opposed to the 'v' type!
Dr Praveen Rodrigues MD
Dermatologist, Cosmetologist, Venereologist XXXXXXX Hospital, Bangalore
Follow-up: Itchy groin, spread to buttocks and waist, darkening color. What to do? 1 hour later
could you please write them in a sort of in a column wise so that i can show that as a prescription and get them from the pharmacist. thank you so much for your assistance.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 7 minutes later
Hi there AAAA
2% ketoconazole soap bar apply daily to affected areas & leave on skin contact 10'
1% terbinafine cream (lamisil) apply twice/daily for 2-3 weeks
200mg Fluconazole tabs Once/week dosage for 2-4 weeks (2-4 capsules/tabs total)
Aloevera cream (local appln on wet skin) prn (to begin after 2 weeks) & apply liberally to affected areas following resolution of initial fungal infection.
Do hope this takes care of your problem.
Do remember to treat the fomites as suggested (clothes/undergarments etc)
If this answers your needs, please feel free to close this query & would love your valuable feedback.
Cheers & Godspeed!
Dr Praveen Rodrigues MD
Dermatologist, Cosmetologist, Venreologist, XXXXXXX Hospital, Bangalore, India.