Itchy genital area,wet discharge

Hi i have itching in my private part joints... its more than a month.. i tried to keep them dry... used powder too.. and oil too.. but its not healing.. and instead my skin is getting reddish and itching is still increasing.. please help me wht to do?
Posted Sat, 28 Apr 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 4 hours later

The most common cause of excessive itching in the private parts is due to a fungal infection. It is called tinea cruris. If proper treatment is not taken, it keeps on recurring. The preferred treatment for it will be an antifungal cream such as Cotrimazole. Please see a Dermatologist for complete examination and get treated accordingly.

Sometimes application of one topical antifungal is not sufficient and a combination of two and more antifungals are needed until the itch disappears.
One has to continue application for 2 weeks after the itch disappears.

The other causes for persistence like leaving the treatment in between, treatment resistance (when one drug is being used), co-existing dermatitis, diabetes and low immunity, etc also needs to be ruled out.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.

Follow-up: Itchy genital area,wet discharge 2 hours later
I have forgot to add one more thing... that my panties are always wet because of white withdraw some time.... and the itching side also get wet all time.. is it happening because of always wet? I have tried to change my panties after each 5 months...

I am confused which treatment I have to take? skin or gynecologist? or both.. as already i m on medication of Thyroid, Migraine, dermatologists creams for my leg, neck and face treatment. Or you need any more information from me please let me know. thanx.

Thanks for writing again.

Wet panties with white discharge is indicative of vaginal fungal infection- leukorrhea.
Most likely your itching is due to the vaginal discharge only.

You need to consult your Gynecologist for complete examination and the treatment accordingly.

Hope my answer is helpful.

Wish you a speedy recovery.
Follow-up: Itchy genital area,wet discharge 21 hours later
thanx for the answers... soon will get diagnose from my gynecologist.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 42 minutes later
Hi again,

Make sure that you complete the treatment properly as these infections are notorious for recurrence.

Happy to help you always.