Itchy, dry, white patches on ankles, feet top, lower legs. Had hand, foot mouth disease, cat allergy. Antihistamines taken. Reason?

I have itchy, dry, somewhat raised white patches (fairly small) that started around 1 ankle several months ago. Last week, they spread to the other ankle, tops of both feet and the lower legs. I caught hand, foot and mouth virus from my grandson about 2 months ago, with high fever and mouth/throat sores, but no rash anywhere else. Could the aftereffects of that virus be causing the current spread of the pre-existing white patches on the ankles, feet and legs? Alternatively, I was staying with family last week and there was a cat in the house. I am allergic to cats but took antihistamines all week and had no typical nose, eye or throat allergic symptoms, but perhaps the exposure to the cat aggravated the pre-existing skin condition on my ankles? Thanks for any help you can offer.
Posted Sat, 26 May 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Gaurang Krishna 44 minutes later

Thanks for writing in.

The existing itchy patches may be an extension of the childhood eczema you had.

Contact with cat fur may have aggravated the lesions, which explains the spread of the patches.

I do not think this has any link with the hand foot mouth disease virus that you got 2 months back,

Applying a mild cortisone cream and mositurizers will help you.

If you have any further question, please do not hesitate to ask me

Follow-up: Itchy, dry, white patches on ankles, feet top, lower legs. Had hand, foot mouth disease, cat allergy. Antihistamines taken. Reason? 12 hours later

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately, the itchiness is spreading. I now have rather hot, mildly burning itching on my hands, arms, head, etc., although I do not see the same dry, round, raised white patches that I still have on my ankles, tops of feet and legs. Also, those white patches do not have any redness or oozing liquid, which I understand is typical of with excema. Finally, I have not been exposed to the cat now for 3 days, but the condition is worsening, although I have been taking a daily oral antihistamine the whole time .

When the white patches spread and worsened I was on vacation, and had travelled from my home in Canada to California, returning back to Canada 3 days ago.

Is it possible that I perhaps have a mild virus/other condition which I picked up on the trip, (possibly on the plane or on the beach) aggravated by exposure to the cat, sleep deprivation, etc. (I was helping care for a newborn baby and a toddler while in California), and my immune system is simply reacting with the skin problem? Perhaps if I catch up on my rest, etc., this might go away?

I have already tried the hydrocortisone cream on my feet and legs, and it does not seem to help. Also, now that I am itchy over most of my body, it will be very difficult to put the cream everywhere, including under the hair on my head.

Thanks for any additional insights you may be able to provide.
Answered by Dr. Gaurang Krishna 14 hours later
thanks for reverting.

yes this may be a skin rash of a viral fever. You may consider increasing the dose of your antihistamine. I would recommend hydroxyzine 25 mg thrice daily. May sedate you a bit but will be effective,
If possible, can you attach a pic of your rash using the "upload your reports" feature on the right hand side of the query page" I shall be able to give you a better suggestion then.

Take rest. Drink plenty of oral fluids.

Please attach a pic of the rash.

Awaiting your response