Itchy, dry, and stuffy nose, crusty substance produced. Redness and swelling on nose. Tried hydrocortisone

For the past week and a half my nose has been itchy, dry and somewhat stuffy. About 6 days ago, the inside of my left nostril (on the fleshy side, not the septum side) started to produce a crusty substance and if it comes off, it just starts up again. There are some similar symptoms in the other nostril. As well, for the past 5 days, the outside of the nose is extremely red, swollen and sore. I look like the town drunck/W.C. Fields/both. I don't know what to do to make the inside of the nose rebound, and I can't seem to get the outside of the nose to stop throbbing or being so sore. I've tried hydrocortisone cream, chap stick-like items, vaseline...Help?
Posted Sun, 30 Sep 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 4 hours later
I have seen the picture attached.
It seems to be due to an infected and blocked gland on your nasal septum. This is most commonly the result of superficial staphylococcus bacterial infection.
Since the skin is directly attached to the cartilage in this area, it is quiet painful.
You need systemic anti inflammatory medicines and antibiotics to control the infection. Doing a hot fomentation will be a useful pain relieving measure.
Keep the area clean and apply some topical antiseptics like neosporin.
You can consult your primary physician for proper antibiotic prescriptions.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.