Itchy clitoris,strong odor,used a new sex toy,not sexually active,no pain

Question
My clitoris has been itching for a few days. there is no pain, but a slightly stronger odor than usual. I bought and used a new dildo around that area. is it from that? what should I do? I am not sexually active
Posted Fri, 20 Apr 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 2 hours later
Hello XXXXXXX

The clitoral itch started after you used the dildo around the area. So one possibility is an allergic reaction to the material of the dildo or any lubricant if used. The second possibility is any friction caused by the dildo and the clitoris which has caused an itching in the area. Allergic reaction to commonly used products like soaps, vaginal contraceptives, feminine sprays and creams, bubble baths and scented toilet paper can often cause such itching in the area.

Since you are not currently sexually active, it rules out the possibility of any sexually transmitted disease. But since the itching is accompanied by a vaginal odor hence there is a strong possibility of a vaginal infection or bacterial vaginosis which may be responsible for the vaginal odor.

I suggest you to follow up with your gynecologist as you need antimicrobials if there is any infection and these are available by prescription. You may also need antihistaminics for the allergy and swelling.

Till that time, follow these simple lifestyle measures:

1)      Avoid rough intercourse/ masturbation and use a water based lubricant during intercourse.
2)     Wear cotton underwear and avoid douching or using feminine products.
3)     Avoid using perfumed soaps and sanitary napkins, bubble baths and toiletries.
4)     Change underwear daily, wash underwear in hot water and double rinse (to remove any irritating detergent) and take adequate nutrition and sleep.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.