Itchy bumps on bottom of tailbone, spreading. Should I have them looked at?

Jul 2012

I have bumps that itch at the bottom of my tailbone and at the base of my head. Should I have them looked at? I have had them for several weeks - they seem to be spreading and itching more. I have been putting lotion and several different essential oils on them.
Posted Sun, 9 Sep 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 8 hours later
Hi there. I read your query with interest. I wonder if it is possible for you to upload a clear photograph of the lesions & send them across on this portal? How many weeks exactly have you had them? Are there any specific aggravating/relieving factors? Are they in any particular pattern? When you scratch them do they bleed/scab? Are there any pus filled blisters? What lotion & oils have you been applying & for how long & are they getting worse with these applications? Apologies for the many questns but will help me understand your case better should you not be able to upload a photograph or two. Look forward to hearing from you. Cheers
Follow-up: Itchy bumps on bottom of tailbone, spreading. Should I have them looked at? 6 hours later
Hopefully you received the picture. I think I may have had this for almost six months but it hasn't been as widespread. Recently I started putting the lotion and oils on - I have used a vegetable oil, body lotion and several Young Living Oils blends - valor, thieves and purification. The purification seems to relieve the itching.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 18 minutes later
Hi there XXXXXX. I recieved & viewed your photograph & read through all the medications /oils et al you have used. I fear some of them may have aggravated the condition & caused a 'pomade acne' in the region.
As for the treatment, please start with a mixed bag cream "betamethasone-miconazole-fusidic or gentamycin" cream & use it twice/daily for 3-5 days & STOP.
Then switch to a comedogenic cream that will help peel off the remainder of the comedo like 'pimples'/'bumps' using a cream called Benzac-AC (benzyl peroxide 5%)that will act as a peeling agent & has a built in moisturizing factor but make sure to apply it only 'on' the spot sparingly evenings sans clothes.
This is the best advice that i can provide 'online'.
For further intervention ie should you require a prescription drug etc, it may be prudent to visit your local dermatologist nearest you @ ground 0.
Cheers & hope this helps you along your way & rids you of these lesions.
Good luck & do give us a shout to let us know you are doing fine!
Dr Rodrigues