Itchy bump on back, rash, thigh with rashes, bleeding. Diagnosed UTI. What can the rash be?

About 4-5 days ago, I noticed a small itchy bump on my lower back right in the middle. Two days later, the bump had turned into a rash (about 1x1 inches). Yesterday, I noticed my left thigh was covered with about 8 similar patches of rash. The rash on my lower back has grown friends, but only on the left side.
I am 44 years old. I had chicken pox when I was an infant. I have not changed detergent, soap or any other product that would touch my skin. I have not traveled anywhere for the past 6 months (i.e. no hotel stays where I would pick up bed bugs). My only known alergy is to sulfa drugs.

Oh!! This might be important. About 3 weeks ago, I was diagnosed with a UTI, but it got worse on the anitbiotics, not better. I started bleeding. A urologist put a camera into my bladder. I watched and I saw a rash. The urologist said that was why I was bleeding and why I had UTI symptoms. The rash on my back and left thigh looks similar to the rash on the inside of my bladder (or at least I think so). The bladder rash was very blotchy, like the rash on my back and thigh.
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Skin Rash
Answered by Dr. Gaurang Krishna 11 hours later
thanks for writing in.

To get a better understanding of the rash I need you to answer some questions.

1. Is the rash only itchy or does it hurt or burn too?

2. Is it present only on the left side of the body.

3. do you see any blisters along with the rash and bumps?

Two things come to my mind- Herpes Zoster and P Rosea.

P.Rosea subsides on itself.
Herpes needs some medication (to prevent post herpetic pain).
But it has already been 5 days now, so the chances of medicine being of any help are less.

Nevertheless there is no harm in taking them.

I would also request you to kindly upload a picture of your rah on the query page using the "upload your reports" feature.

This will give me a better understanding and so I can give you more appropriate suggestions.

In the mean time, you may apply Calamine lotion 2-3 times daily on the rash.

Awaiting your response

P.S.- I dont think there would be any relation between the bladder rash and the skin rash. But I will be more sure after seeing a pic of the rash..
Follow-up: Itchy bump on back, rash, thigh with rashes, bleeding. Diagnosed UTI. What can the rash be? 3 hours later
Yes, the rash burns; it almost feels like a stinging pain.

It is present on only the left side of my body and below my waist.

There does seem to be small blisters.
Answered by Dr. Gaurang Krishna 20 hours later
Thanks for the confirmation and the pics.

This is indeed, Herpes.

As it has been 5 days already, I dont think taking any treatment will be of much help.

The rash will subside on its own in 7-10 days. You may just apply an antibiotic cream so that secondary bacterial infection does not set in.