Itchy bump appeared all over body. Diagnosed with scabies. Any proper treatment?

My 8 year old had red bumps on his legs very itchy
I tool him to dermatologist they said scabies gave special cream to put on every week
Started the treatment it seemed helped the itching but now bumps are everywhere on his back under arms, chest, belly arms and neck
Posted Wed, 5 Dec 2012 in Skin Rash
Answered by Dr. Kruti 2 hours later

Thanks for posting your query.I will be glad to be of assistance and I will try my best to answer your queries until you get a satisfactory answer.

I would like to request you to take a photograph of the lesions and post them here so I can have a look and opine regarding them. You have a feature to upload the image by yourself at the right side of the query page, please utilize that so that I can answer your queries better.

Follow-up: Itchy bump appeared all over body. Diagnosed with scabies. Any proper treatment? 20 hours later
I did take picture
Please let me know
Answered by Dr. Kruti 6 hours later

Thanks for posting the pictures.

In the picture it doesn’t look like scabies. It looks like a papular urticarial, which is usually a hypersensitivity reaction to an insect bite.

However, I would like to know:-

1. Do any family members have a history of itching?
2. Do any family members have any lesions anywhere on the body?
3. Is there history of increased itching at night?
4. What is the cream that has been prescribed?

I can understand your concern about the bumps spreading on the body. You can give him an antihistaminic like hydroxyzine at night to control the itching. It has to be taken at night as it may cause a little drowsiness. But before taking any medications, please do consult your treating doctor.

You can also apply cortisone lotion once a day on the bumps.

I will be awaiting your reply.

Follow-up: Itchy bump appeared all over body. Diagnosed with scabies. Any proper treatment? 2 hours later
I have few bumps on my legs but I thought because of dry skin as when I apply lotion it goes away. No one else in the family. The name of the lotion is permethrin cream 5% it helps with itching.
How can I find out what insect? I checked the bed for bedbugs nothing I checked for mites I do not know how else but to wash his bedding every 2 days. Smbd told me to check for fleas. I do not have pets but had the house sprayed against those.
How can I stop the rash?
Answered by Dr. Kruti 2 hours later

Thanks for your reply.

I can understand your concern.

Papular urticaria is usually like a delayed reaction to an insect bite; in the sense the insect bite may have just happened once earlier but the bumps are coming now as a hypersensitivity to that bite. Therefore it doesn't mean there are insects biting him regularly. It has already happened before and may not be happening again and again.

To control the bumps, you need to give an antihistamine drugs and cortisone cream as I recommended earlier. A competent dermatologist can prescribe the drugs to him. Besides that permethrin cream cannot be applied indefinitely. Only two or three applications are recommended. Hence I would request you to stop that after discussing with his treating doctor.

I understand you are worried. But don't worry, there are solutions available.

Hope my recommendations are helpful to you. Please let me know if you have any more queries.
If all your concerns are addressed, please close this discussion.